Jump label

Service navigation

Main navigation

You are here:

Sub navigation

Main content

Welcome to TU Dortmund University

General Information



Guest house

The Association of Friends of TU Dortmund University runs the “Helmut-Keunecke-Haus” in Dortmund-Barop. This guest house for international researchers (and their families) working at TU Dortmund University has 14 apartments ranging from 20 m² to over 110 m². You can apply for one of these apartments through the institution hosting you, stating the size of apartment you require and the dates of your stay. Contact person at TU Dortmund University is Ms. l.

Counseling Service

The International Office provides information on searching for accommodation in Dortmund here.

Arranging accommodation privately

You can study the offers on the relevant online portals, in local newspapers and on notice boards around TU Dortmund University. You can use all three options to post your own ad searching for accommodation. You can also employ an estate agent to find an apartment for you, although you may have to pay a commission for this service. For a list of estate agents in your town, visit the “Gelbe Seiten” (“Yellow Pages”) and search under “Immobilienmakler” and the name of your town.


Visa / Entry / Residence

The stipulations for obtaining a visa and / or residence permit vary according to the country of origin, the duration and purpose of stay as well as individual circumstances.

For information regarding entry requirements, please visit the website of the Federal Foreign Office.

For basic information regarding working in Germany, please visit the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.

For an overview regarding residence permits that are relevant for researchers from countries outside the EU, please have a look at HRK’s flyer. [A template for a hosting agreement that has to be signed by TU Dortmund University and the researcher for the issuance of a residence permit according to Section 20 of the German Residence Act can be found here.] 

The residence permit is issued by the Foreigner’s Registration Office in Dortmund. Please find the office hours as well as further information here.


Work Contract / Income / Taxation

The university administration and the hosting chair of the respective department will provide the working conditions and the contract as well as set the salary.

English information sheets regarding contract documents are currently being edited by the university administration and will be available on this website as soon as they are prepared.

More information on salary taxation can be found here.


Official Documents

The following documents should be present at the time of arrival and throughout the duration of your stay:

For Entry

  • Passport for yourself and any family members that are traveling with you
  • Visa for yourself and any family members that are traveling with you
  • The acceptance letter from the university or scholarship confirmation
  • Biometric passport photo for the residence permit

During the Duration of Your Stay

  • Birth certificate for yourself and any family members that are traveling with you (German translation if possible)
  • Marriage certificate (German translation if possible)
  • Notarized copies of all academic diplomas and/or documents (German or English translations if possible)
  • Vaccination certificate
  • An official explanation of any unusual or preexisting illnesses and the current medications being prescribed
  • International driving license or foreign driving license including a translation
  • Further documents that are required for your work contract at the university


Mandatory Insurance

Generally, all those employed in Germany have the following insurances: health insurance, pension scheme, unemployment insurance, accident insurance, nursing care insurance. The premiums for these will be automatically deducted from your salary.

Research Fellows usually do not have to pay premiums on the above listed insurances, with the exception of health insurance. Please note that fellows are normally not insured through the university and are therefore individually responsible for their insurance coverage (e.g. accident insurance, third party insurance).

For more information on social security click here.

For more information on statutory health insurance click here.

For more information on private insurance click here.


Bringing Your Family on a Research Stay

Families at TU Dortmund University have access to a large day-care facility and holiday childcare. The “Campus Familienbüro” (Campus Family Office) on campus provides information about family life in Dortmund as well as nursing care counseling for members of the university that care for a loved one. Quiet rooms and changing tables are available at various locations. University members with children meet up regularly at the “Elterncafé” (Parents’ Café).


Registering at TU Dortmund University

If you want to register at TU Dortmund University, please get in contact with the Admission Department.


Information for Ph.D. students
Information for Ph.D. students can be found here.